Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Mofo - N97, the mother of all phones

I've been writing about my phones quite a lot, so I believe anybody who's been following (did I write "following"? I meant "reading occasionally") this blog has a pretty good idea that I'm in fact a cell phone junkie. I'd even use that title if there wasn't already a podcast with the same name.

My main phone is the N95 8Gb (on top on the picture above) and I've been testing the E90 (on the bottom) for a while now. They're amazing devices despite being both a little long in the tooth (2 years is a lot in the cell phone industry) and for my personal use they kinda complete each other. I love the 5MP camera on the N95 but I also love the big internal screen on the E90. I love being able to play video games on the N95 but I also love the ample qwerty keyboard on the E90. During this past week playing with the E90, there were more than a couple of moments when I thought that a combination of these two phones would be my ideal device.

Then, on December 3rd 2008, Nokia announced the N97. The gadget whore in me was drooling all over the keyboard of the computer while I watched the live feed from Barcelona. This baby has the potential to be all that I dreamed about and more. I know now that by June next year I'll be carrying a new phone and it's gonna be the N97.

I'm returning the E90 and I'll keep the N95 until the N97 is available. When that happens, the N95 will probably be inducted in the Hall of Fame for serving me so faithfully for over 2 years. I have too strong of an attachment to that phone to simply sell it on eBay. Furthermore, by then, its price would probably be below $300 and I simply refuse to accept that amount for such a nice piece of equipment.

No comments: