Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Sassy Girl (2001)

Movies like this always bring nostalgic feelings of my time spent in Korea and I believe it would be the same for any expat out there like me.

I left Korea pretty young but I went back there after college to re-learn the language I had long forgotten. And in that time I met a girl with whom I had a long relationship. I still remember the rides in the subway on my way to meet her, the way she used to hold my arm when we were walking in the busy streets and her cute shyness at any public display of affection from my "westernized" personality.

Our relationship wasn't platonic (and I doubt any couple in Korea would have such a relationship as shown in this movie, especially now) but it had much of the same innocence shown in the movie. We also went to amusement parks, we also took trips to the country, we also spent long hours just sitting in the park and talking. And, funny thing, we once went to a club in which the target patrons were a little bit younger than us. We just didn't have any high school uniforms to wear.

I don't specifically miss her (and it wouldn't be fair to my wife and my baby girl if I longed for a long gone ex-girlfriend), but I miss some elements of that relationship. And I'm definitely nostalgic about the only serious relationship I had in Korea. The moments we spent together, especially the moments we spent in Korea, were magic.

3 comments:

The Korean said...

You might have seen this at my blog, but I really still don't understand why people like that movie.

Anonymous said...

I went through the same thing during my year-long sojourn in Korea. I dated this Korean-American who, though raised in the US, still possessed deep Korean influence in him. Our dates were similar to those featured in My Sassy Girl, minus the bullying of the girl of course. Lovely to remember that dreamy walk along the Cheonggye Stream during a freezing December night and those ajjosi-filled subway rides during Fridays which we nevertheless managed to keep quite romantic. Those and a whole lot that others think are only fit for highschool lovers. Well, the relationship didn't last long and it actually ended in a way I wished never happened. I'm over it now but it's still draws a smile on me whenever I happen to think of those moments.

Prior to watching this film, I thought those dates were made just for movies but thing is, they do reflect Korean society, with a little touch of exaggeration.

ksoje said...

@belle,

finally somebody who understands me!