Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gay marriage

I was strolling around Seattle this afternoon when I came across several hundreds of people (if not a few thousands) protest marching for the gay marriage cause, obviously fueled by the recent California ban.

I'm not gay, I don't have gay friends and if anybody in my family is gay I'm not aware of it. The only gay people I know are a few acquaintances here and there and I never had the chance to have any serious conversation with any of them. In fact, I am a very conservative Korean guy, to whom the thought of a man sleeping with another man causes a little discomfort, to say the least. And having made my politically incorrect confession, I believe that it's in this discomfort that lies the foundation of gay discrimination.

Straight people always seem to concentrate on the sexual implications of someone being gay. They don't see the human being, they see the sexual being. Meanwhile, I try to give them the same treatment I'd give a straight person.

When I meet a person who I know is straight, I don't think about their sexual life (well, if it's an attractive girl, one or another thought may slip there). I don't even feel the need to tag that person with the label "straight". So why would I do that with someone who's gay? Gay people are not constantly fucking, they live their lives like everybody else. They go to school, they work, they eat, they sleep, and it just happens that they have a partner of the same gender.

Ultimately, I'm convinced that gay people are born gay. It's not a choice, it's just what they are. In the same way I was born in Korea, they were born gay. Thinking about it, who would ever choose to be gay? It's so hard to be gay, there's so much discrimination, why would somebody want to be gay?

Needless to say, I'm in favor of the legalization of gay marriage. My strongest argument would be that gay people have the same obligations of straight people, why should they have different rights? Whenever I hear arguments against gay marriage, my position gets stronger and stronger because none of them makes sense. They're all based in stereotypes and misconceptions that would be extremely offensive if the target was a racial group, instead of gays.

So, let's hope that lawmakers in this country get this thing right and legalize gay marriage.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Nice comment! I have the proverbial gay best friend, and it is sad/scary to hear and see how people discriminate against him as soon as they find out he is gay. Pathetic.
Interestingly, he would make a far better parent than many straight guys so luckily for him he is South African where our laws concerning marriage and same-sex couple adoption are not archaic and discriminatory!!!