Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Beijing 2008

More short ones:

1) As of August 14th, South Korea has 6 gold, 7 silver and 3 bronze medals. North Korea has 1, 2 and 4. Together, Korea has 7, 9 and 7.

2) Park Sung-Hyun (South Korea) lost the gold medal to Zhang Juan Juan (China) in the women's individual archery final. Though it was a fantastic upset (after all, Park was defending the olympic title against the 30th seed), I was kind of expecting this after the Chinese athlete won two matches against other top seeded Koreans. The home field factor worked wonders here. Playing in your own country must do wonders for one's motivation to win. And as I was watching the match I couldn't help but think that Zhang deserved it.

3) Does anybody else think that Park Sung-Hyun is cute? By the way, I thought all of those women in archery were cute. Maybe it's the hat.

4) I was counting on women's individual archery as a sure thing when I made my forecast of 4~5 more gold medals for South Korea. I also thought judo would bring us one more gold, but it seems unlikely now. Well, I'll be extremely happy if they get another 3. I'm guessing 2 taekwondo gold medals and one more in some unexpected sport, like always happens.

5) A little historic of olympic medals for South Korea:
Los Angeles 1984: 6 gold / 6 silver / 7 bronze
Seoul 1988: 12/10/11
Barcelona 1992: 12/5/12
Atlanta 1996: 7/15/5
Sydney 2000: 8/10/10
Athens 2004: 9/12/9

6) So far, China is dominating the competition with 22 gold, 8 silver and 5 bronze medals against 10, 8 and 14 for the US (the second place).

No comments: